Powered By Blogger

Thursday 16 February 2017

The Best Days: Vijayalakshmi remembers HLF, 2017



My best self at HLF

Being a part of the Hyderabad Literary Festival has been one of best experiences in my life so far. Initially, I was not clear about my role as volunteer for the fest. However, during the first meeting, Kinnera Ma'am and Amardeep Sir introduced us not just as Volunteers but as Ambassadors of HLF. In that moment, I realised that I was a part of something fantastic,prestigious and life-changing.


Since then, I dedicated myself to the world of HLF and was determined to put my best.

Ma'am and Sir asked our priorities so as to assign everyone in their interested task. I expressed my interest in exhibitions, workshops, and merchandise.
In our second meeting, we all were assigned our tasks. I was engaged in taking care of the exhibition along with three other members from other colleges. Then we met our Organizer who gave us a brief introduction about our work.
As we were assigned the Exhibition Department, we had to be 2 days prior to the event for the installation of the artworks.

With Supriya Kiran


My first day of work was very interesting as we were installing Katharina Kakkar's artworks. Along the way, I made some good friends. I also met my organizer, Lisa.

On the second day, the arrangement of her artwork was almost done and I was looking to help others. I learnt the importance of work and the value of time.
All throughout the three days, we the ambassadors had to arrive around 8:30 am. Therefore, I had to wake up really early which I usually don't. This event made be punctual and appreciate the lovely early morning sun.

With Amita Desai Ma'am


My work was to monitor Katharina Kakkar's and cartoon artists' exhibitions in shifts with other co-volunteers. Usually, I don't know much about Art, but when I was assigned these exhibitions, I slowly learnt what art actually is. Through Katharina's artwork I learned how one's emotions, feelings, and opinions could be expressed in the art form. She has amazingly expressed the perceived role of women in our society by using different elements like dried chillies, rose petals, pepper, wax, glucose bottles etc.
When I got the opportunity to talk about her artwork to the people who could understand it, I had a fun time putting forward my own views on the exhibits.




Throughout my HLF journey, the one person who kept me motivated all the time, was Lisa, my Organizer. She is a beautiful, charming, sweet lady.

I never saw such a woman in my life who holds amazing patience in spite of all the work frustration. She helps everyone without saying no to anyone. She cares for everyone. One day, as I was a little bit late to the lunch, she brought a lunch box for me.

With my co-volunteer
Inspiring artworks


I managed to give my best in my work. I was literally addicted to doing any work, if I was free I used to get bored. I never felt tired or exhausted and I don't even understand how I kept getting that enthusiasm day by day. I think it was all because I made good friends, working together with them, communicating and learning little things from them made me energized. Also, the feeling when you are able to help someone is one of the greatest motivators in itself. Here, I learned to be patient, communicate with people and maintain a calm and sweet approach towards the people.

With team HLF!


All for one! One for All!

In short, I could say, I enjoyed every moment of being a part of the great family that was the HLF. From being busy at work to clicking selfies with Lisa, Kinnera ma'am and Amardeep Sir.

Something Amazing!


A portrait was given by the cartoon artists, Jai Undurti and Harsho Mohan Chottoraj to all the volunteers along with certificates, books and a small memorable kit.

I feel blessed that I got the opportunity to explore a place and an event as wonderful and as diverse as the H.L.F. I thank our principal, Dr M. Surekha Reddy, Faculty members of commerce department and I extend a special thanks to the English Department and Jhilam ma'am who gave us this brilliant opportunity and also the HLF team for supporting us and giving us a chance to discover the best in ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment