Powered By Blogger

Friday 4 March 2016

The Change Within: How I Improved my English Speaking Skills after Joining the College

In this post, C. Sravanthi(B.Sc II F), shares her experiences as a constant learner of English




I am C.Sravathi from Yamavaram village, Kadapa District. My father works in the C.R.P.F and my mother is a home-maker. My background is humble. I have small eyes but big dreams. 

I often wonder if my wishes will come true. There are so many obstacles. But one must go on and try to overcome the hurdles that life creates for us. I would like to tell about one such problem in my life and how I am still trying to solve it. 

For a long time, I have been afraid of speaking in English. I did not study in my village. My father sent me to Hyderabad to complete my schooling. I studied in a school in Old city. It was an English medium institution. But sadly, I only learned to write in English. Speaking confidently and clearly in English was a far fetched dream for me. Our teachers in school would always speak in Telugu, Hindi or Urdu. They taught us English in local languages. Although I understood how to write English, I could not say even one sentence in English without making mistakes. 
I was ashamed and confused. College life was ahead of me. What could I do?

After joining the college, I realized that almost everyone always spoke in English. I was very afraid at the beginning, because, I had to appear for viva, make presentations, attend seminars -all of those in ENGLISH. 

I tried to read and learn more about English and my own faults and inabilities. Now, I must say, that my fear is much under control. I speak better English than I did in school. I do make many mistakes. But I manage to communicate. The seminars, viva and other classroom activities have helped me overcome my fear of speaking in front of other people,   

My teachers in college have encouraged me a lot to improve my speaking skills. I am thankful to everyone who helped me bring a change within me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment