Powered By Blogger

Monday 15 October 2018

Changing Paths: A Moving Confession by Bhakti Matur


 Walk On !

Sometimes, we all make wrong decisions. We suffer as a result, and we regret them. We become unhappy and curse ourselves, because we think we cannot change them. 

Everyone in their lives must have come across such experiences. For me, my decision to join an engineering college, was the one I regretted. I had studied an electronic course for only two semesters and yet, the failures I experienced and the humiliation I faced, for not being a good student, pained me greatly. 

I realized, after a while, that my heart wasn't in this and that this was not the path I wanted to take, but I didn't give up. I tried again, I wanted to endure and get through because everyone around me somehow were capable of doing that. My last attempt at redeeming myself didn't quite work and I failed miserably than all the times before. At that point, my parents had made their frustration towards me clear and my friends taunted me. I had enough and I decided to change my course and do what I desired, which was literature. 

It was hard going against the norm, especially when everyone around you believes that your dreams are childish and will get you nowhere in life. Taking up B.A and doing what I wanted to do was perhaps the most scariest moment in my life but now, I can say that it's the best decision I've ever made. I'm really happy with what I'm learning now and I enjoy it immensely. 

Maybe it's true that you have to do what you love because the best of you shines through. My self-confidence is at an all-time high and I'm slowly coming out of my shell, trying to communicate. I'm exactly where my past self wanted to be and I couldn't be happier. But  life doesn't always go smoothly. I still have to explain to others why I supposedly made such a rash decision or why I supposedly took a path that has no future.

 My parents, although supportive of my decision, ask me the same questions sometimes because they feel like they have a reputation to uphold in society. However, I don't let such things affect me anymore. 

At the end of the day, my happiness is important. Despite what people say, your happiness is more important than your parent's or your friend's or your neighbor's. Sure, being an engineer or doctor is great but why settle for them when your options are endless?


                                                                                                            Bhakti Matur,

                                                                                                                  B.A Second Year.
                                                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment